SAP HANA is a high-performance in-memory database and software platform that accelerates data-driven, real-time processes and analyses. It provides advanced analytics on multi-model data, on-premise, and in the cloud. “HANA” stands for “High-Performance Analytic Appliance”, which highlights the software’s ability to perform analyses at great speed.
Based on a relational database management system (RDBMS), SAP HANA organizes and controls the data in a database (DB). SAP HANA’s database technology, however, is unique in that it uses row-oriented database technology as well as the column-oriented approach that is common in in-memory databases. This allows the SAP HANA database management system to carry out analyses and transactions in parallel, making it possible to connect OLAP (Online Analytical Processing) and OLTP (Online Transaction Processing) landscapes from a single source in real-time.
The advantage of an in-memory database is that data can be stored directly in the working memory without having to be temporarily copied from the hard disk to the working memory. This accelerates data processing speeds significantly and allows the SAP HANA platform to collect, store and process large amounts of data in real-time without the need for extra hardware or IT operations; which makes it an extremely cost- and resource-efficient solution.
Running SAP solutions such as SAP S/4HANA, SAP Analytics Cloud, SAP Ariba, SAP SuccessFactors, and SAP Customer Experience on the SAP HANA platform has revolutionized the processing power, speed, and simplicity these solutions offer intelligent enterprises.
SAP HANA Capabilities
- Database management: SAP HANA’s unique enterprise-grade, in-memory database technology simplifies and accelerates your data processing with a single unified database solution on premise and in the cloud. By combining live transactional data with historical data in the moment, it also yields the deep insight needed to make the right decisions on the fly.
- Database administration: SAP HANA simplifies data administration operations to monitor and optimise processes, help ensure data and application security, and achieve continuous availability. The SAP HANA in-memory database allows users to configure, tune, and monitor database performance, perform core administration tasks, and automate and orchestrate advanced operations with the administration tools available.
- Data security: SAP HANA’s advanced security features secure communications, data, and services with comprehensive identity, access management, and data anonymisation to preserve privacy and trust.
- Multi-model processing with advanced analytics: SAP HANA’s ability to store and process multiple data types in a single, scalable solution allows you to store and quickly perform complex processing of multiple data types, such as spatial, graph, and documents; augment transactions with advanced analytics, including machine learning and predictive modelling, and innovate with modern applications that combine transactional and analytical workloads on a single data set.
- Application development: SAP HANA’s built-in development and runtime capabilities, leveraging open standards and tools, help you create modern applications faster with a simplified application architecture.
- Data virtualisation: SAP HANA’s data federation and data integration and replication capabilities provide a real-time gateway to all of your data across applications, data storage and the cloud, with built-in data quality capabilities and services.